onsdag 15 april 2009

Assignment #1 - Growing up

Among many things children need, I think the most important one is love. The blessing of growing up in a loving family is something many of us take for granted, but there are lots of children who get lost in life simply because of lack of love.



I grew up with both my parents, two brothers and a sister in a typical Swedish neighborhood with houses built in the 1970's, we also had an old Volvo, a dog and a cat. It was as average as it can possibly be. When I was younger I hated the thought of a future version of myself living that kind of life with my own family, but look at me now. I live just one street away from my parents in a similar house and my children goes to the same school as I once went to. Despite promising myself to never ever do so, I now probably sound just like my own parents when raising my own children.



Why did I become like this? I would say probably because I now understand my parents. I know why they didn't allow us being outside late in the nights or wanted us to always tell where we went. I see the connection between love and boundaries. I will never know what kind of person I had become if my parents would have raised me differently, but I do know that I have much to be thankful for.

This is where we can reflect over the love we feel for our children. To love is not to give them everything they want and desire. There is another aspect we must never forget. Love is also to make sure that the children know what we expected from them and to set clear rules for how to behave both at home and outside. Many parents complain about their outrageous children and there are "Nanny-shows" at almost every TV-channel. I think this is quite alarming. Who is the problem? Is it the children or their parents?



I believe the greatest difference between children today and children 50 years ago is the way of respecting the adults. Today's children lack respect for their parents, teachers and other grown-ups. I am totally aware of the fact that 50 years ago it was allowed to beat your children in Sweden, and that much of what we now refer to as respect actually was fear of being hit. I am certainly not a fan of child abuse, I just believe there must be a way for parents and children to both love and respect each other.



Working in school I meet many "troublesome" children whose parents has lent over the raising responsibilities on the teachers. This is totally wrong, because having children is a commitment for life. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work and patience, but by giving lots of love, encouragement and by setting clear boundaries you can make your child's future as bright as possible.

5 kommentarer:

  1. Ledsen Emma, men jag vet inte om jag orkar läsa det här?! Men jag tycker om dig ändå! Kram

    SvaraRadera
  2. La även märket till att klockan inte fungerar som den ska! Lämnade kommentaren 08,43 den 16 april.

    SvaraRadera
  3. I think you have written a strong and true text. You have really pointed out all the important ingrediences in making a happy and respectfull child.

    Your paragraphs are clear and makes me want to continue reading. I have nothing to complain at so keep up the good work. :)

    SvaraRadera
  4. I think you're a very good writer Emma! Your text was very interesting to read and I think you have captured the two most important things that adults should pay attention to; to always give lots of love but also to set clear boundaries.

    Keep up with your good work,

    Lisa Steinholtz

    SvaraRadera
  5. A very well written and thoughtfull text with meny good point of views!

    Maybe the 4th paragraph could have been left out..?

    WELL DONE!
    //sandra h

    SvaraRadera